Tuesday, October 15, 2013

It's already been two weeks?..

Note to self...blog more often. Things pile up soooo quickly here and if I don't write them down fast enough I forget! 
Anyway, the last week has been a slight whirlwind and I can't believe that I've already been here for 2 weeks...like what?!

I'll pick up at last Wednesday.. On Wednesdays I head over about 25 minutes from where I am staying, to a small town called, La Yaguita. Within the city you will find a small school and church. Both are run by Pastor Ramon and his wife. Our family has been supporting Ramon and his family for many years and to be able to come here weekly for 7 weeks is pretty awesome. 
I am the "PE teacher," for the short time that I'm here. Obviously this is just too perfect for me and running around with children playing kickball and other games is pretty exciting! I have three classes in the morning and three classes in the afternoon of 15 kids per each class. Seriously, some of the most adorable children I have ever seen in my life and it has quickly become my favorite day of the week! 

I have also seen a few heartbreaking things, in my time at La Yaguita and about cried my little eyes out last week. My favorite little kid in La Yaguita, is a little boy named Orlin (pronounced OrlinG). He is 9 years old and quite a handful. Pastor Ramon and his niece told me that Orlin is one of the main reasons that he started the school, in the first place. He comes from a very twisted family and his home life sucks, to say the very least. Well, come lunch time last week Orlin was nowhere to be found. So, Karina (Ramon's niece) and I decided to go find him. He arrived at his house to find his mother in a foul mood and she shouted something towards the back of the house, until Orlin appeared. He had his head down and came shuffling out of the house, towards Karina and I. His mother told him to put his shoes on and kinda shoved his back out of the door. He started to walk faster ahead of Karina and I and wouldn't tell her what was wrong. He turned his head to look at us and in the process revealed a very large red mark, stretching from the back of his ear to his neck. It was in the shape of a horseshoe and was bright red. He said that his mother had hit him very hard with a thick type of wire and he showed us where he had marks all over his back as well. I couldn't handle it. It took everything in me to hold back tears. I grabbed his hand and wouldn't let him let go until we got back to the school. When asked why he hadn't been at school in a few days he said that it was because his mother wanted his younger brother whom she favored to go to school, but that she had told Orlin he wasn't allowed to and had proceeded to hit him several times, for sitting out in front of the house, earlier that morning. He sat in my lap and winced several times, as Karina put ointment on his spots. I couldn't comprehend something like this and it absolutely broke my heart. Safe to say, I didn't let Orlin out of my sight for the rest of the day. 

I will admit that once I got back to the house, told my mom what I had seen and experienced that day.... Then I cried. I was thanking God for blessing me with two Godly parents. I would never know what it was like to be in Orlin's shoes, but I can at least show him Christ and Christ's love, while I'm here. 

Friday, was my 21st birthday and I had the privilege of visiting one of the beautiful Dominican beaches, in Sosua. I couldn't have asked for a better off day, to relax and enjoy myself. I must admit that I'm not sure I will ever be able to enjoy American beaches as much as I did the beach in Sosua. There is absolutely NO COMPARISON. Sorry, US. 

After missing youth group the first week, due to being a complete lightweight when it comes to Dominican caffeine...and yes I almost passed out because I was shaking so hard. Try to refrain from laughing... Anyway, I was finally able to enjoy a night at the church, with all of the youth. Although the language barrier is a slight issue, I have greatly enjoyed getting to know so many of these young people that make up the youth group and am so thankful for the opportunity to spend time with all of them. There are so many people in there that really do love God so much and it makes me so happy knowing that they are there every week to chase after Him more! 

On Sundays I help out in the 1-5 year old Sunday school class. It is called "Ovejitos," which means "Little sheep." How absolutely adorable is that?! It's almost as a adorable as the kids. Sunday afternoons consist of lunch with the 3 girls who teach at Kasandras school and Angel ( my Dominican brother).  Followed by nap time and some sort of sports activity. Let's just say that this week, I figured out why I never played soccer competitively. It was a disaster, but totally fun and I would absolutely do it all over again. 

The last two days have been stuffed with cleaning out the office, to get ready for the group coming, visiting people in the church, taking stuff to different people and piano lessons at Roximis's. I'm super pumped to be heading to La Yaguita, in the morning and am sure I'll come back with many more stories. I had promised Orlin I would bring him candy tomorrow and Karina and I agreed that I would help her learn more English and that she will teach me more Spanish. 

Thanks to all of you who are praying....I appreciate it more than you'll ever know! Well, goodbye now, until next time 

-Rachel xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Rachel! Your writing makes it feel like we are right there with you. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete